12 Foods That Can Worsen Anxiety Says Science
Anxiety isn’t necessarily just a state of the mind. There are foods that could trigger your anxiety too. This is because of the mind body connection. Here are 12 foods that can trigger your anxiety and make it worse.
1. WHITE BREAD
You must have surely heard from people that it is essential to eliminate foods rich in carbs like white bread, etc. for losing weight. The reason is because processed and fast foods are rich in refined sugars. They can have a major impact on your mood and waistline. A fluctuation in the sugar levels in the body can give you anxiety. Sugar can have similar effects like how cocaine stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain. You feel fantastic when sugar starts activating the pleasure centers of your brain. You can exchange white bread for whole wheat bread and choose brown rich over white as well.
It is a very rare to find people who dislike chocolate, but people usually crave for this sweet when they are stressed. Chocolate is rich in both caffeine and chocolate. They can hype your sugar levels for a period of time and then it drops making you experience anxiety. A good alternative can be dark chocolate.
Tomatoes are good for healthy but Ketchup is pumped with high amounts of hidden sugar. Ketchup can be a good misconception for puree. It is said to contain sugar which is equivalent to half cup vanilla ice-cream. These carbs can hamper the sugar levels in your body which will result to anxiety.
Alcohol is known for suppressing the nervous system, this is the reason most people drink it. You may feel relaxed after drinking it but there can be side effects where your sleep can be impacted. Getting insufficient sleep can make you experience anxiety and other disorders. It is stated that fluctuations in blood sugar levels can lead to problems in mental health.
5. FRUIT JUICE
As fruit is healthy for you, so will its juice be. As a matter of fact, most commercially available fruit juices are 10% fruit and the remaining 90% is added preservatives and sugar. If you’re having freshly squeezed juice, then it is not an issue. Consuming juice is only sugar and no fiber, so it can cause fluctuations in the blood sugar levels and it can lead to jitters or bad anxiety.
6. FRIED FOODS
French fries, cream filled doughnuts, onion rings, etc. Are the favorite of many people. The relation between heart diseases and fried foods were discovered and posted long time ago.
7. LIGHT SALAD DRESSINGS
If you see the word ‘reduced fat’ or ‘lite’, then you should take a close look at its ingredients label. Most products have hidden sugars in them. The famous tomato basil sauce available in supermarkets contains nine 9tbsp of sugar in just one serving. Sugar can increase your weight as well as make your anxiety worse. If you think you’re cutting off calories, then you may have just been part of this marketing ploy. You should always evaluate the nutrients present in the salads or bottled condiments you usually buy.
8. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS
People usually think it’s fine if the product has diet labelled over it. These items may not increase your weight, but it contains artificial sweeteners which can be harmful for you. These synthetic ingredients are as harmful as real sugar. One of the most used artificial sweeteners are Aspartame, it is used for stunning the production of serotonin. Serotonin is essential for managing your moods and anxiety. You could be harming yourself if you drank a can of diet sodas every day.
Coffee is one of the most loved drinks as it has a limited amount of caffeine in it. It will help you to wake up. A large quantity of caffeine can have its effects on you. Caffeine can speed up the heart as well as cause palpitations and flutters in large doses. Caffeine products can help you to kick your anxiety out and put your body in overdrive.
10. ENERGY DRINKS
If coffee weren’t bad enough, energy drinks could have two or three times the amount of caffeine. Did you know that these drinks are so dangerous they can cause heart attacks in some people?
If coffee wasn’t so bad, well energy drinks have twice or thrice the quantity of caffeine. These drinks can be very dangerous for some people where it can lead to heart attacks. In 2019, a study based on popular drinks conducted by the AHA have warned people about these drinks and have found their relation with heart problems. There was a case where a man drank so many of these that he had a hole in his skull.
One of the most favorite drinks among Americans is soda. It is filled with sugar and it is rich in caffeine as well. They may not have as much caffeine as a cup of Joe’s, but this drink should be avoided. The sugar content hijacks your brain and functions like a drug for elevating or worsening your mood.
Soda can increase body fat and inflammation in the body which will lead to bigger problems. The calorie intake of most people is high due to their excess consumption of soda.